As retail buying habits shift more and more online, it's hard to believe that in the not so distant past, there were quite a few big department stores competing for our business. Here's a few classic commercials floating around YouTube.
1. The Joy Store
- There were several locations around the Capital Region up until the early 90's
- And check out those deals on film developing!
2. Montgomery Ward
- A giant department store similar to Sears, which had locations all over the country
- Although they don't have any physical stores anymore, they still exist online
- Gotta give 'em credit, they lasted up until 1997 when they closed all remaining stores due to bankruptcy
- The Albany area had one at the old Northway Mall, now the Northway Shopping Center
- There were several locations around Albany, including what is now the Pearl Street Pub
- They were famous for their lunch counter
- At one point, they had 700 stores and strengthened their brand in the 80's and 90's by buying out smaller, financially struggling chains like Bradlees and Jamesway
- Stores began to close down in 1999 and the entire chain closed in 2002.